No one really knows for sure what the actual cause of morning sickness is. Most experts say it may be due to the physical changes your body is going through. And also the rapid increase in the hormone called 'human chronic gonadotropin', or hCG, along with the increase in estrogen, seems to coincidentally show up at the same time the nausea starts. But studies have shown that about 75% of pregnant women do go through this morning sickness, that can actually, last all day. For most women it starts at about 4-6 weeks into the pregnancy and goes to about 14 weeks. Some women experience it for even longer periods of time.
These body changes can trigger an increase in your sense of smell or sensitivity to certain odors which can set off movement in your now very sensitive stomach.
Remedies to try
Nausea due to smells
- When a meal is being cooked, open the windows or the exhaust fans on the stove
- If you do most of your cooking in the microwave, there will be less smell
- Carry with you a handkerchief or cloth with some kind of oil scent on it that will not make you nauseous
Nausea due to eating and drinking
- Avoid foods that are spicy or greasy
- Eat the foods your body craves when it craves them
- Eater smaller portions of food more often during the day
- Eat something salty just before a meal. It may be easier to keep your food down
- Try not to drink liquids with your meal
- Decaffeinated teas like peppermint and ginger will calm your stomach
- Drinking small amounts of liquids through the day will keep you from being dehydrated
- Cold food will cause a less nauseous feeling, including the smell
Other remedies for nausea
- Getting too warm will bring on nausea
- Being too tired can bring on nausea. Try to take periodic naps
- Get as much sleep at night as possible
- When you get out of bed in the morning, do it slowly
- Have crackers or cereal (dry) on hand to eat if you need to in the morning
If none of these remedies, or any others that you have tried, seem to work, talk to your doctor. There are anti-nausea medications and natural supplements that are available for you to try. But, it is important to talk to your doctor if you nausea doesn't subside. There may be other reasons for your nausea besides just the body adjustments. Good luck.